Friday, October 15, 2010

10/15 For the Perfect Homemade Pumpkin Spice Chai Lattes...

I drink my favorite Teavana Samurai Chai every single morning. I appreciate the caffeine and the amazing flavor. I also love Fall flavors more than anything else, especially when it is actually Fall. Pumpkin spice lattes are expensive, calorie-heavy, and usually disappointing at coffee shops. I opt to make my own, and I use tea instead of coffee. To do that, I need my own pumpkin spice syrup! Note: I tried to make it without the syrup (actual scoops of pumpkin and spices), and it was a disgusting failure. Syrup is a miracle worker.























Pumpkin Spice Syrup
1.5 cups sugar
1.5 cups water
2 tbsp pumpkin
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or your own mixture)
Cheesecloth


1. Bring water to a boil.
2. Dissolve sugar in water at medium heat (about 5 min)
3. Add pumpkin and spice, a little at a time so it doesn't clump. Mix very well to combine in the syrup.
4. Cook at medium heat for another 5 minutes, mixing often to get rid of any clumps.
5. Remove from heat and let cool.
6. Spread a piece of cheesecloth over a small bowl. Pour syrup into cheesecloth and let drain as much as possible. This will be relatively messy, so try and determine the most efficient method for yourself.
7. Pour into jars and cover. Refrigerate. It will keep for a few weeks, at least.
8. Give as gifts to family members and friends. I made some for my mom, and she was very excited!
Note: Spices may separate (see the darker color on the bottom), so give the syrup a good stir every time you use it.

Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte
Freshly brewed chai tea or coffee, if desired
1/4 cup milk, heated to desired temperature
Pumpkin Spice Syrup


1. Froth milk and pour desired amount in a mug of chai tea.
2. Add 1-2 tbsp of syrup to taste, and stir.
3. Enjoy as often as possible.

You can also add the syrup to just about anything. I ate it on apple pancakes when I had no maple syrup, I used it to add a kick to some cream cheese frosting, and I sometimes throw it into cakes and breads. It is always fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment